Mariana Islands America the Beautiful Quarter Pays Tribute to Heroes of WWII
One of the most vicious battles of World War II was fought on the South Pacific island of Saipan. The battle began just days after the D-Day landings in Europe and lasted for nearly a month. When the smoke had cleared and Lieutenant General Holland Smith was able to claim victory for America over Japanese Imperial forces, the United States had achieved its objective of capturing the island that put mainland Japan within range of its devastating B-29 bombers. The victory was not without cost, however. Japanese Emperor Hirohito encouraged civilians to kill themselves rather than be captured by Americans, and thousands jumped to their deaths from atop such places as “Suicide Cliff” and “Banzai Cliff.”
Located in the Northern Mariana Islands, a U.S. commonwealth, Saipan today is home to American Memorial Park, a living memorial dedicated to American and Marianas people who gave their lives during World War II. Now, this second issue of 2019 in the America the Beautiful series celebrates the area with this five-ounce silver American Memorial Park coin.
The America the Beautiful series has proven extremely popular since it began back in 2010. For those who have been collecting from the start, each release has provided a new and exciting way to discover and appreciate all that America has to offer. And the best way to collect these designs is as a whopping five-ounce, 90% silver coin! Measuring an incredible 76.2 mm in diameter, it’s nearly twice the size of an American Silver Eagle!
Your coin will come with a smooth satin-like matte finish produced by a vapor blast process. In addition, has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in stunning Specimen-70 (SP70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended. In addition, PCGS has certified this piece to be a First Strike (FS) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. To top it off, your coin will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder along with a label that has been personally signed by John Mercanti, the 12th Chief Engraver at the U.S. Mint!
The American Memorial Park in the Northern Mariana Islands is a perfect example of a coin that presents collectors with a scene of America’s history that would likely be overlooked otherwise. It depicts a native woman standing before the flags at the park, her hand resting reverently on one of the granite plaques inscribed with the names of the people who sacrificed their lives during the Marianas campaign.
These 2019 American Memorial Park Five Ounce Silver Specimen release is one of five America the Beautiful Coins that will be issued this year meaning it will be available only for so long. Add it to your collection before it’s too late!
- THE LATEST IN THE “AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL” SERIES – This 2019 Five Ounce American Memorial Park coin is the second issue of 2019 and the 47th overall in the America the Beautiful series, which began in 2010.
- STUNNING NATURAL SCENERY – The design features a native girl visiting the American memorial Park on Saipan. It also displays the words “AMERICAN MEMORIAL PARK,” “N. MARIANA ISLANDS,” “2019” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM.”
- A SERIES OF FIRSTS – Each coin in the America the Beautiful series was struck at the Philadelphia Mint from 99.9% fine silver. These are the largest ever quarter coins struck, measuring three inches in diameter.
- UNITED STATES LEGAL TENDER – Each America the Beautiful coin is twenty-five cents legal tender in the United States.
- GRADED IN PERFECT SPECIMEN CONDITION – Your coin has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in stunning Specimen-70 (SP70) condition, a distinction that means your perfectly-graded coin will have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended.
- KEY FIRST RELEASES CERTIFICATION – PCGS has certified your coin to be a First Strike (FS) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue.
- PERSONALLY SIGNED BY JOHN MERCANTI – Your coin will come sonically sealed in an acrylic holder along with a label that has been personally signed by John Mercanti!
Year of Issue 2019 Country United States Composition Silver Purity 0.9990 Condition Graded Grade SP70 Pedigree First Strike Denomination 0.25 Currency Type Dollar Mint Name Philadelphia - P Coin Weight 155.5 Grams - g Weight 5 Ounces - oz Dimensions 76.2mm