Texas America the Beautiful Quarter Pays Tribute to Spanish Colonial Missions
Almost everyone has heard about the Alamo, the famous Spanish mission in San Antonio, Texas that was converted into a fortress to fight off a Mexican Army. It’s since become the iconic symbol of Texas independence and a historic landmark visited by thousands of tourists every year. But did you know the Alamo is just one of five missions in San Antonio? The other four missions may not have the name recognition of the Alamo but are just as important to the rich legacy of Texas and its unique blend of cultures.
Today, those four missions are part of a UNESCO World Heritage Site and were authorized as a National Historical Park in 1978. They also are the theme of the U.S. Mint’s latest release in its America the Beautiful Quarters® Program. Struck as a massive legal-tender quarter in five ounces of 99.9% silver, the 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park coin is the fourth issue of 2019 and the 49th overall in the series.
The San Antonio Missions were one of the largest concentrations of Spanish missions ever established in North America. These walled and fortified outposts were founded in the 17th century by Catholic missionaries to spread Christianity among the local population. Using the San Antonio River for irrigation and ranching, the missions not only spread Christianity, but taught the local population important skills like toolmaking, carpentry, looming, spinning and masonry and helped develop a self-sufficient community. While beautiful historic sites, the missions remain actively involved in their original purpose: The Archdiocese of San Antonio still owns portions of the four missions and continues to operate them as active parishes!
In addition, PCGS has certified that your America the Beautiful Five-Ounce Silver Quarter is a First Strike (FS) coin, meaning that it was among the first struck by the mint and was verified within the first 30 days of issue. Collectors seek out these coins because they are produced with new dies and considered to have sharper strikes and deeper mirrors than those that are struck later. Also, the population of coins labeled as First Strikes is only a fraction of the total mintage.
As a final added feature, your coin will be sonically sealed in an acrylic holder and encapsulated with a label personally signed by the legendary John M. Mercanti, the U.S. Mint’s 12th Chief Engraver! A giant in the numismatic world, Mercanti has produced more coin and medal designs than any person in U.S. Mint history!
The San Antonio Missions National Historical Park in San Antonio, Texas is a perfect example of a coin that presents collectors with a scene of America’s history that would likely be overlooked otherwise. The coin depicts four quadrants symbolizing important functions of the Spanish missions: wheat for farming, arches & bell for community, a lion for Spanish culture, and the currents of the San Antonio River for irrigation. The quadrants are divided by a cross in a nod to the design of a vintage Spanish Colonial Real, often referred to as America’s First Silver Dollar.
The 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Five Ounce Silver Specimen release is one of five America the Beautiful Coins that will be issued this year meaning it will be available only for so long. Add it to your collection before it’s too late!
- THE LATEST IN THE “AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL” SERIES – This 2019 Five Ounce San Antonio Missions National Historical Park coin is the fourth issue of 2019 and the 49th overall in the America the Beautiful series, which began in 2010.
- STUNNING SYMBOLIC IMAGERY – The design depicts four quadrants symbolizing important functions of the Spanish missions: wheat for farming, arches & bell for community, a lion for Spanish culture, and the currents of the San Antonio River for irrigation. It also displays the words “SAN ANTONIO MISSIONS,” “TEXAS,” “2019” and “E PLURIBUS UNUM"
- A SERIES OF FIRSTS – The America the Beautiful series features the largest-ever quarter coins ever struck by the U.S. Mint with these coins measuring three inches in diameter.
- STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – These America the Beautiful coins have been struck in five ounces of 99.9% silver.
- UNITED STATES LEGAL TENDER – Each America the Beautiful coin is twenty-five cents legal tender in the United States.
- GRADED IN NEAR-PERFECT UNCIRCULATED CONDITION – Your coin has been graded by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) as being in near-perfect Mint State-69 Deep Mirror Proof-Like (MS69 DMPL) condition!
- KEY FIRST STRIKE CERTIFICATION – PCGS has certified that your America the Beautiful Five-Ounce Silver Quarter is a First Strike (FS) coin.
- SIGNED BY A LIVING LEGEND – Your coin will be sonically sealed in an acrylic holder and encapsulated with a label personally signed by the legendary John M. Mercanti, the U.S. Mint’s 12th Chief Engraver!
- LOW LIMITED EDITION – Just 20,000 of these 2019 San Antonio Missions National Historical Park Five-Ounce Silver America the Beautiful coins will be issued.
Year of Issue 2019 Country United States Composition Silver Purity 0.9990 Condition Graded, Uncirculated Grade MS69 Pedigree First Strike Denomination 0.25 Currency Type Dollar Coin Weight 155.3 Grams - g Weight 5 Ounces - oz Dimensions 76.2mm