Saved from Destruction, 30th Anniversary Silver Eagle Proofs from the West Point Mint Hoard
Since its debut in 1986, more than 20 million American Silver Eagle Proofs have been struck. At the end of each year’s production, the United States Mint usually collects all of its unsold Silver Eagles, removes them from their packaging and unceremoniously melts them down. We say “usually” because in 2019 the Mint discovered it had some leftover stock of 2016-W Silver Eagle 30th Anniversary Proofs. Rather than melt these special coins, however, the Mint in a surprise move sold them to a buyer in a closed bid sale.
The coins were later sent to the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) and the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS), two of the world’s leading independent third-party grading services, where they were certified as originating from the “2019 West Point Mint Hoard.” Thanks to our connections in the coin world, we were able to pry a few of these coins away from the buyer and are making them available on a first-come, first-served basis.
These coins are the key-date 30th Anniversary Proofs that, for the first time, were struck with a smooth edge. On that edge is special incused lettering that reads “30th ANNIVERSARY.” You’ll find the inscription along the bottom edge of the coin, right along Liberty’s sandals. Plus, each coin available in this offer has been graded by NGC as being in flawless Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition, a distinction that means these perfectly-graded proofs have ZERO imperfections – showing all features and fields exactly as the engraver and mint intended!
In addition, these coins have been sonically sealed in tamper-resistant coin holders and encapsulated with labels personally signed by the legendary John Mercanti, the U.S. Mint’s 12th Chief Engraver and the designer of the Heraldic Eagle on the coin’s reverse. A giant in the numismatic world, Mercanti has produced more coin and medal designs than any person in U.S. Mint history!
With the announcement that the U.S. Mint would be replacing Mercanti’s design in 2021, it adds even more interest to this unique hoard of key-date 30th Anniversary Silver Eagle Proofs struck at the West Point Mint. Saved from destruction, these Silver Eagles are ready to live in your collection. Reserve one of these special pedigreed coins to your cart today!
- SAVED FROM THE MELTING POTS – These coins come from leftover stock of 2016-W American Silver Eagle Proofs. They were destined to be melted down until the U.S. Mint sold them in 2019 to a buyer in a closed bid sale.
- SPECIAL WEST POINT MINT HOARD DESIGNATION – The Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) has certified that these coins are from that closed sale and are pedigreed with a “2019 West Point Mint Hoard” label.
- WEINMAN'S CLASSIC WALKING LIBERTY . . . – Adolph A. Weinman’s iconic Walking Liberty design first made its debut on the 1916 half dollar, lasting three decades before bowing out in 1947. In 1986, this iconic image was reborn for the Silver Eagle with her exquisitely detailed beauty remaining on the coin ever since.
- . . . PAIRED WITH JOHN MERCANTI'S HERALDIC EAGLE! – This coin’s stoic and symbolic heraldic eagle was created by designer John Mercanti -- the most prolific coin and medal designer in United States Mint history!
- EXPERTLY STRUCK IN HIGHLY PURE SILVER – These coins were struck by the West Point Mint on one-ounce planchets of highly pure 99.9% fine silver and measure 40.6 mm in diameter.
- U.S. LEGAL TENDER – Each American Silver Eagle is one dollar United States of America legal tender, as seen on the coin’s reverse.
- PERFECT PROOF CONDITION – Your 2016-W One-Ounce Silver Eagle Proof was graded by NGC as being in perfect Proof-70 Ultra Cameo (PF70UC) condition.
- SIGNED BY JOHN MERCANTI – Your coin will be sonically sealed in an acrylic holder and encapsulated with a label personally signed by the legendary John M. Mercanti, the U.S. Mint’s 12th Chief Engraver!
Rescued from the melting pots, these 2016-W One-Ounce Silver American Eagle “2019 West Point Mint Hoard” proof coins are an unusual find with an interesting tale to tell. Add one to your collection today!
|Year of Issue||2016|
|Mint Name||West Point - W|
|Coin Weight||31.103 Grams - g|
|Weight||1 Ounce - oz|